Friday, November 6, 2009

What I've learned in News Reporting

It's surprising, to me, that I have learned so much in just 50 minutes, three times a week in News Reporting. All of the information that I've acquired can be used while I pursue my career in journalism.

News Reporting is taught by Rob Priewe who also teaches classes like Media and Society and Intro to Photojournalism. The class is held from 11 am to 11:50 am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays every week.

The most important piece of information that I have learned is that in order to be a good reporter, having relationships and knowing people is essential because people make news, know news, and are news. Some other things that I found to be important is to really dig deep. Get a lot more information than you plan on using, just in case. Also, making the person who is the interviewee feel comfortable is highly important. That way more information will be given because when people are comfortable they become vulnerable.

I'm really glad that I am taking this class because I know it will help me in the future tremendously. I really enjoy the exercises and assignments and I think all of them have a great amount of purpose and can be used later on in life. The textbook is also amazing. So much great, valuable information and it's not boring like most textbooks are.

For local news (Albany, Oregon) check out the Democrat Herald
Also check out The Wall Street Journal for news that covers international and the United States news.

No comments:

Post a Comment